Re: who first; flaws; using HW; KoDP

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:51:13 -0700

Andrew asked

>What I was uncertain of was is the sequence based on the AP you have at the
>start of the round or your current AP as the round progresses ?

At the start of the round.

David

> >"Stupid" probably has its uses in a contest involving oratory, law,
> >philosophy, or similar obtuse subjects. A Lhankor Mhy sage will
> >probably be unable to convince a cave troll that the latter is on
> >philosophically shaky ground as he chomps off a hunk of the
> >greybeard.
>
>But surely the whole point about these abilities are that they are flaws
>and therefore should have some negative effect on the character. Maybe
>an opponent an use the flaw to generate an augment?

I think Hero Wars should encourage making creative use of your limitations. Sure, sometimes you might have to fail a Stupid roll to do something intelligent, but if you can think of something useful, go with it. Most of the time Big could be considered an advantage, but the Small character will be able to sneak through the tunnel and grab the treasure.

I'm not a fan of allowing you to augment with an opponent's abilities, because you don't know what the opponent's abilities are. (Of course, if it's a long-term rival, or you've had sufficient experience with the opponent, this is less of a problem.)

Steve

>HW has a lot of good things in it, presentation and ease of use are
>not two of them.

I think it does have ease of use, since it broadly supports the sort of winging it we'd been doing with PenDragon Pass. I find the game quite easy to run.

I don't find archery especially tricky -- the problem is making it dramatic and fun.

Mikko

>The Finns love KoDP. As far as I know it does better here than anywhere else.

Definitely true if you base it on sales per population!

King of Dragon Pass has apparently gotten people interested in Glorantha as well.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein