Combat System

From: frederik.rating_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:23:42 -0000

Hello there!

I know that this particular issue has been discussed already many times but I would like to share my vision on close combat in HW.

I think that the rules are alright (… I like the flexibility of the
system). However, I do not like the idea that the PCs (… and the NPCs) surrender so easily when they reach 0 APs in a fight.

It is therefore that I have changed the rules for my game sessions. When a combatant reaches 0 APs, he will be allowed to make a test of an ability such as toughness or braveness (with a negative modifier if he is wounded or injured). If he succeeds he will be allowed to carry on fighting. The negative modifiers of being wounded or injured will however be applied for the remaining combat.

If the combatant manages to augment his APs back above 0 he will still suffer from the injury he got initially (let's say a wound). If
he looses even more APs his physical state (… wounded) may become worse (i.e. injured when his APs are between –21 and -30). A new resistance test has then to be done.

If one of the resistance tests fails, the combatant looses his will to fight.

What do you think about this rule? Any suggestions for improvements?

Bye.

Frédérik Rating