Re: Gloranthan magic

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:00:07 -0000

That depends what you mean by In Depth. I don't think there will be a lot more "Rules", but you say that's not what you're after. I hope there will be more myths and more information on the Cults.

> The things I want to know aren't rules at all. They're the things I
thought
> this damn game was supposed to be about - the "dramatic realism of
a magical
> world".

Yes, but the important word here is "dramatic" not "realism".

>Hell, it's written under the aegis of a fellow who claims to be into
> real-world shamanism.

...but your arguing with the rules for Theism....

> I'll say it again : I'm not talking about rules.
>
> I'm talking about things like whether some of the 'laws' people have
> postulated about magic in our world - similarity, contagion, and
the like -
> are the principles that Gloranthan magic operates under.

This sounds more likely for Sorcerors than for theists...

> Like whether Gloranthan magic can create real, permanent, physical
objects;
> or can create living and/or sentient things out of nothing.

I'd say No to both, based on what I know of RQ magic, but I can see that this sort of information would be useful. Is it in the difficulty tables at all, where some of this sort of stuff is..

> What I would really like is an essay on Gloranthan magic. I think
it's
> pretty much required for a game where players and referees are both
supposed
> to improvise the use of magical powers on a routine basis.

In the "Do-it-yourself" spirit of the game, I'd suggest rather than complain because there isn't one, you write one (or a proto-one) of your own and post it here. I'm sure people would be happy to collaberate, coroborate or provide conflicting views if they could see what you were trying to do, and the finished document would (a) definitely help you (b) probabaly help other people and (c) may end up on the Issaries website, or even in print somewhere