RE: Gloranthan magic

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:45:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Previous notes suggested that - at least when it came to Gloranthan magic -
> there would be nothing more in-depth than what we have now. At the least, it
> means I will have to carefully read reviews before buying any of the player
> supplements, because I don't want them if a more coherent explanation of
> Gloranthan magic isn't forthcoming. More likely, it means I'll never buy
> anything more for this game than what I already have.

What I want to see is not 'spell descriptions' (Sunset Leap: Enables the user to teleport...), I want more setting information. So hopefully, while there wont be individual spell descriptions there will be information on how magic work in heortling society: What do you sacrifice to Orlanth, what tasks do priests of different religions have to perform, how does a ritual look like. This tells my a lot more about how magic work in glorantha than mere spell descriptions would. One of my favorite features with HW is that rules can be kept to a minimum so there is a lot more space for setting information, how magic works for instance. Feats without descriptions could mean you get more information on how magic works _in_glorantha_, not less.

> What I would really like is an essay on Gloranthan magic. I think it's
> pretty much required for a game where players and referees are both supposed
> to improvise the use of magical powers on a routine basis.

Exactly! I don't think anywone has said that this is outside the scope of HW. I hope that the space created by keeping feats undefined can be used for, in my opinion, more useful things: like your essay on magic.

I'll be very surprised if this is not a part of the region/players books.

Ha en god dag!
Frank Rafaelsen