Re: "Sufficient" detail

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:49:45 -0000

You know, this is like poetry. A short verse can in some ways capture something a lot more accuratly than ten encyclopedias. Poetry works just as much by form as by content. We are talking about magic remember. And for me there is nothing that destroys a sense of wonder and magic quicker than definitions. It is to scientific-ish.

Out of interest I asked two of my players how they felt about the system (both a have played other role-playing games before. One of them a lot of games. Neither know that much about glorantha). Both of them liked it, one of them even said it just might be the coolest part of HW. But, and he stressed this, the system depended on a GM that dared to let the players define the magic (said while looking sternly at me btw :)

I think you are partly missing the point Frank. Affinities are open to improvisation but Feats are linked to a particular myth and as such cannot be improvised. Although as Robin Laws pointed out, they can be used creatively, which is not the same thing.

Hence in my game, Sunset Leap refers to the way Orlanth chased Yelm across the sky and caught him at sunset and slew him. The game effect of calling on this feat is being able to jump a long way. You can use the jump for anything you like but it will always be a jump. You might get an edge to your leap (Feat use) if it is more closely linked to the original myth (such as leaping westward and/or at sunset). You cannot use it for making a sunworshipper jump, or the sun move in the sky.

Until you have the myth, it is hard to say what the Feat does.

You can however use the associated Affinity, Movement, for anything you like with an improvisation penalty related to the difficulty. It could be for getting clouds to cover the sun, a gap to open in a crowd to pass through, you enemy's hair to stand on end, your sword to leap into your hand, jumping on your spear and surfing on it, even maybe moving someone to tears (with a whopping penalty) etc.

As such, I want myths.

Have an nice dog!
Steve