Re: Examples of Rules Play

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:08:12 -0500

At 06:40 PM 8/17/00 +0100, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> >That said, I don't think the RQ fans who dislike HW feel
> >that way because they don't understand it. I think they mostly
> >know what it's trying to do and wish it were trying to
> >do something else.
>
>You may here be referring to some specific statement I've missed, but
>as a general comment, this crappy attitude that whomever dares to
>criticise HW must, without question, revere and worship RQ is bloody
>irritating.

You're reading something into the above-quoted statement that I didn't say.

  1. I have no problem with people criticizing HW. I expect criticism. Debate over game design is informative and healthy, even though it ultimately comes down to matters of personal preference.
  2. I don't think it's an insult to say that someone likes RQ. HW is not an attack on RQ. "Runequest fan" is not a dirty word. Although I haven't played RQ in years, I have a great residual affection for it and hope that people who still play and enjoy it can make use of HW products in their RQ games.
  3. I recognize that there are people who like both HW and RQ.
  4. I recognize that there are people who dislike both.

I choose my words carefully and I think if you take a second look at them you'll see that I'm not slagging anyone for their preferences.

Take care >>> Robin