Wealth Rating (was Re: Examples of Rules Play)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:39:19 -0000

I'm not sure you "add" them in any meaningful way, you just decide on an appropriate "resistance" for the purchase in question. Here a failure might indicate the vendor does not have the stock to hand, where a success means you offer enough that he will "buy in" stock from other vendors for you.

I think the GM needs to keep half an eye out for abuse. If you can, for example, easily make the roll for a single mail shirt, but not for 30, you shouldn't allow 30 individual rolls at the same resistance

This is the same as the 1 night/many nights in an inn situation, but in both cases it sort of matches the way I deal with money IRL. I can afford to buy Anaxials Roster (Assuming it makes it to the UK this week), or any other RPG book without too much worry. I might be able to afford a copy of every RPG book in my local shop, but I'd have to dip into my savings to do so. I probably couldn't afford to buy my local shop... I don't need to worry about the exact amounts involved.

(Sometimes you do, of course - when I was a student, or out of work, the amounts mattered more - or, in HW terms, the amount my wealth exceed such purchases was lower (or negative!), so I can see a campaign where you start out as stickpickers and finding 5 Lunars counts as a major treasure running in to difficulties, but if your players wealth is comensurate with the purchases they typically want to make...)

This next bit is really Steve!

> 2. I'm not sure why it should cost HPs to cement an increase in
> wealth. This is like the GURPS rule that no-one ever uses. If you
> come across some advantage in play, like finding a working
spaceship,
> you are supposed to pay the XP cost, taking on disadvantages if you
> cannpt meet it some other way. You might start to limp or get
> migraines due to the stress of ownership. This is an extreme
example.

You pay HP's to cement the increase in wealth for the same reason as you pay them to cement a magic item, or an increase in a skill, or a new feat. Because it has made your character "better" and the game mechanic for doing so is the spending of HP's. (What this means, as an aside is that if you decide your character needs to be wealthy, you could be a higher "unrelated" cost and claim the wealth increase

that way - "My Wealthy Uncle has died and left me a share of his
fortune" - "I bought a ticket in the Teelo Norri Lottery, and won a
major prize"  - "My Families cattle have bred well and so my standing
has gone up in the tribe")

> If you are going to charge HPs for money, new friends,
contacts, ...
> where does it end. If you defeat someone in an argument and people
> take your side, do you have to pay HPs to keep them on your side?

Permenantly (like in the next adventure) yes, at least according to the rules - You managed to persuade your Commanding Officer to let you trade with the Llama riders last month, it doesn't mean he'll automatically let you trade with the Bolo Lizard riders this month...