Re: Animists and ancestors

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:13:47 +0200

Phil Hibbs:

> >No, I'm trying to find a way to make ancestor worship
> >more workable from a sociological perspective. If you
> >of descendants is likely to be pretty big.
>
> So is the number of ancestors.

True, but the really ancient (and powerful), mythic age ancestors are fewer.

> Do you think that if one shaman in one clan
> contacts an ancestor and puts it in a fetish, that another shaman from
> another clan can't then contact the same ancestor?

It would seem logical that the ancestor is not contactable by others, as it is no longer present on the Spirit Plane. But, as a fetish only contains one power of the spirit, one could argue that just this power is tied up until the fetish is used.

> I don't, not in the
> normal course of events.

That's most pratical to avoid book-keeping and determining whether grandpa's Run Fast power is available or not. It just doesn't feel quite right.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com