Re: Advanced Magic Questions

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:11:39 +0200

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Alexandre Lanciani wrote:
> Then, questions about misapplied worship. Are Lunar sorcerers and Heortling
> spirit-talkers (for example) practicing misapplied worship? Do they still
> have a relationship with their culture's main religion (i.e., Worships
> [Celestial or Storm] Pantheon) or would they have respectively Member of the
> (what? Carmanian?) Church and Kolati (Storm?) Tradition? After all they grew
> up in a theistic society and so approach their respective kind of magic with
> the wrong mindset.

Oups! According to the rules (HW:RiG p.45 & p.70) Heortlings and Dara Harappans get Worship [Storm/Celestial] Pantheon, evidently regardless of whether they are theists or not!

In my eyes this is good. They should have it. But how to handle a Taraltaran mystic or a Kolating shaman who wishes to get Divine Aid, I do not know. (The Taraltaran would probably be barking up the wrong tree, but I am not so sure about the Kolating.)

If they should not have the Worship ablility, where does it stop? So, the shaman does not have it, but what about his followers? And what about those who just visit the shaman now and then and get some help. Should their Worship ablility be penalized? No, that would be silly.

I think a Kolating is a worshipper of the Storm pantheon. He probably does not worship regularily and so has a low rating. But misapplied worship, no, please...

> (Partially OT here) Are misapplied worshippers (mostly, usually) aware of
> the "true" reason why their magic is less powerful or do they devise
> cleverer explanations.

I hope not. My guess is that they do not take notice, it would be hard to judge how many fewer Hero Points the neighbours have to spend to get the same effect.

--
Henrix