Re: Animists and ancestors; Farming with Barntar or Orlanth

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:37:27 -0700

Nils

> > Do you think that if one shaman in one clan
> > contacts an ancestor and puts it in a fetish, that another shaman from
> > another clan can't then contact the same ancestor?
>
> It would seem logical that the ancestor is not contactable
> by others, as it is no longer present on the Spirit Plane.
> But, as a fetish only contains one power of the spirit, one
> could argue that just this power is tied up until the fetish
> is used.

I don't think that's how fetishes work. The spirit agrees to use one single power when it enters the fetish. I don't believe anyone else can contact the spirit (at least not without an adventure -- yes, you might have to go rescue grandpa from bad people who've bound him).

Andreas asked

> >It's impossible to say what will be in Thunder Rebels, since it has
> >not yet had its final edit. However, it's a reasonable bet that
> >Orlanth the Farmer and Orlanth Lawspeaker will not be there.
>
> What! "will not be there" When will we see thm in print then? Why were they
> printed in HW in the first place then?

Look, I'm not the editor of either product, so I can't say why something is or isn't in. But I think the two aspects are usable (if minimally) as they are in Hero Wars, especially remembering that most players would go for Barntar (which hopefully will be in Thunder Rebels) or Lhankor Mhy.

There are gazillions (that's a thousand bazillions) of deities and heroes in Glorantha. They're not all going to be in Thunder Rebels. We will each draw our own line between playability (few enough choices to comprehend them) and exquisite detail (all minor deities worshipped by all Sartarite clans).

James

> There is no Bargain skill whatsoever in any HW shaman's keyword
> that we've seen so far.

Except for those of us who've seen older drafts... Luckily, it's pretty easy to correct: begin your character, "Jadekorda is a Grazer shaman, skilled at cajoling spirits to do his bidding."

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein