Re: Heortling ancestors & shamans

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:12:06 -0700

Wulf asked

> So the Ancestor Worship temple in KoDP is a temple to whom?

It's a shrine (as I recall, it can't be as large as a temple) where you can worship to the spirits* of your ancestors.

 From a working draft of Thunder Rebels: "Heortlings honor not only the gods, but their own ancestors. (In fact, they see little difference between the two things, as any Heortling bloodline worth its salt can trace its descent to Orlanth and Ernalda.) Just as they reenact the stories of the gods, they seek to emulate the behavior of their founders and ancestors.

"Heortling priests communicate with their dead ancestors by traveling to Orlanth's stead. These ancestors can provide general information and advice, and can be counted on to excoriate clan leaders when they fail to follow closely in the footsteps of the ancestors. Most clans worship their ancestors directly as part of the pantheon during religious ceremonies."

Don't forget that KoDP is rather abstract, dealing with things in the aggregate for a clan of 1000. In a Hero Wars game, you'd detail the specific ancestors, many of whom might be worshipped heroes (like Colymar or Varmand), and would have specific affinities or feats (presumably Old Man Varmand would have Strong or Bear-Punching).

> Can a Spirit talker just have Secondary Traditions, and not be a Kolati?

The current working draft of Thunder Rebels has three non-Kolating traditions. (The Chalk Man tradition is mentioned in HW.205.) One is female-only, and I don't believe these spirit-talkers would be technically Kolatings.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein