Re: Advanced Magic Questions

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:27:26 +0200

>> A living person counts as an unique
>> > item?
>>
>> Possibly. It depends on the role the person is taking in the ritual.
>
> Sacrificing a living being?

I'd say that depends on how unique they are. :-) If you sacrifice a thrall/slave, that's usually just expensive - same magnitude as sacrificing a cow. If you sacrifice an enemy captured in combat, at great risk to yourself, that's rare. Sacrificing a relative, friend or loved one would definitely qualify as unique. Getting a bit morbid, this thread...

>> Expense doesn't matter, applicability to the ritual/representation of the
>> original myth does. A ritual might give 1 point for a jeweled crown, but 3
>> for a plain ol' chicken feather, because in the myth the feather was much
>> more important than the crown.
>
> For the sake of clarity, allow me to quibble a bit. :) The Ritual Bonus
>Table gives bonuses for items according to their preciousness/rarity.

I think both ideas are true... Say you're doing the Arming of Orlanth and you're presented with the sword. A normal bronze sword just gives the +1, but if a magical or otherwise special sword is used instead, I feel it should increase the bonus.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg