Converting a low-level RQ campaign

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:30:09 +0100

> From: "Jane Williams" <jane_at_...>
>OK, after much lurking and reading of the rules, I'm about to try to
>restart my existing campaign, but using HW. No doubt many of you out
>there have been through this by now, so I'm hoping to learn from your
>collective experience.

Here are my ideas ...

>The PCs are all (new) members of the Marshedge Clan of the
>Lismelder. They are aged about 16, and have just finished initiaiton into
>Orlanth/Ernalda, the clan bloodlines, etc. They have no divine magic,
>but assorted bits of low-level spirit magic. Best skills are around the 40-
>50% level.
>
>So to start with, what ability ratings should I be giving them? The ratings
>given for the medium "series" (horrible word! this may be a story but it
>isn't low-class TV) seem a bit high. I'd considered leaving the Culture
>(Heortling) at 13, but lowering Occupation and Magic. And, of course,
>lowering those 5W and 1W starting "best" skills. Any thoughts?

That seems sensible. I'd have the top skill at 17-20. Maybe one at 18 and two at 14? I'd cap all magic at 12 (see below) and all other starting skills at 12 (not 13). In fact you might want to ban starting occupation keywords altogether.

>Spirit magic: how do I represent this in HW? Some spells will just
>transalte as abilities, some perhaps as edges on personal weapons
>(Bladesharp focus on a spear), but how about the duck with STR7 and
>three points of Strength spell to make up for it?
>
>Yes, that's the other problem. Three of my PCs are Ducks. Brought up
>as Lismelder, but ducks. And the Durulz "writeup" gives me Hold
>Breath 18, Swim 3w and Small 14 (at least, I assume this applies to all
>ducks, not just the boatmen). Any more ideas? Will Anaxial's Rooster
>(when it arrives) tell me any more?

AR has a little more info (don't have it to hand at the moment).

>The male PCs are new initiates of Orlanth. Which aspect? By
>occupation, they're just normal farmers, crafters, fishers, that sort of
>thing. Sure, one of them would like to be a full-time warrior, and one
>would like to be a priest, but they're a long way from it at the moment.
>So OA, OT and so on don't seem right. I can't find a "worshippers"
>section for an Aspect that says "normal males", other than Orlanth the
>great God.

I think I'd make them starting initiates of the aspect of their choice, but only let them choose one affinity at 12 (they could do this in play). Strength could be reflected by a combat affinity, or a farmer/Barntar vigour. To compensate I might also give them a starting pool of hero points (3-6).

Thom