Re: Tradition Knowledge vs. Bargaining

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:31:10 -0700

Andy wrote

>I'm in favor of "expanding" Tradition Knowledge to include the various
>forms of dealing with spirits. (The quotes around "expanding" are there to
>indicate that I think that Tradition Knowledge is already the logical
>source of a shaman's ability to deal with spirits.)

One aspect of my hesitancy is that it would give shamans a master ability -- one ability they could pump all their hero points into and get every possible thing a shaman could ever want.

>If the shaman does have Bargain, Flatter, or Grovel, does this mean that
>shamans are good bargainers, flatterers, or grovelers in other aspects of
>life? I don't think so. (This leads to weird results like the high strength
>mages in GURPS that exist because strength is directly related to "magic
>points".)

But shamans *are* master bargainers, at least in Robin Laws's view (expressed in many different encounters in King of Dragon Pass).

And why not? If a shaman can flatter an incorporeal sentient being, why not flatter a corporate being?

>Ability inflation: I also don't see the need to add "With Spirits" to
>each of those skills so that shamans need yet another set of basic skills
>to perform the basic parts of their form of worship.

I agree -- if a shaman has Bargaining, it should just be Bargaining.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein