Re: Converting, and Orlanth the Fertile

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:33:10 +0100

Thanks for all the (conflicting) advice, people, I'll sit down with the players tomorrow night and we'll see what we come up with.

Just a couple of points I'm not quite clear on:

Initiates. All the sample characters seem to be Devotees, unfortunately. Do I understand correctly that Initiates get all the Affinities immediately on initiation, but no Feats at all? What does one do with an Affinity with no Feats? There don't seem to be any examples for this.

Orlanth Aspects: quite a few people suggested that Orlanth Thunderous has a Fertility Affinity. But he doesn't. He has Clouds/Rain, Fight Elements, and Wind. Worshippers are listed as "air magicians". The nearest I can find to "a Fertilty affinity to help with crops, fields etc." is Orlanth Farmer, with Agriculture and a Secret of Plow Any Field. Which would make sense, since this probably is what most normal Orlanthi males do with their time.

I think what I'll try for now is giving them initiation into the Great God. One Affinity (picked from any of the Aspects) and limited to 10W (start at 12), no Feats. Getting other Affinities, and possibly initiation into Aspects, can be a goal for later. (Actually, the last RQ adventure we did was the Vingan initiation quest, so I may have to advance them a bit.)

I'm going to let them have one skill at 1W, since they really must have basic competence at doing *something* without supervision in order to class as an adult. But it won't be combat-related. P120 tells me that a Heortling cottar has ability 15, so they should be lower than that.

Jane Williams jane_at_...
http://www.williams.nildram.co.uk/gloranth/index.shtml