Re: Re: Converting, and Orlanth the Fertile

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:26:18 -0700

> Initiates. All the sample characters seem to be Devotees, unfortunately.
> Do I understand correctly that Initiates get all the Affinities
immediately
> on initiation, but no Feats at all? What does one do with an Affinity with
> no Feats? There don't seem to be any examples for this.

See HW page 183, the section labeled "During Play" for how to become an initiate to a god during play (instead of starting out as one). Devotee also has a "During Play" section on page 184. There is a cap on "Initiate of" and all affinities of 10w2. There is no cap on a Devotee's ability ratings.

When you are an initiate, all uses of the affinity is penalized with an improvisational modifier (normally -3, but up to you as the narrator), see page "Benefits" on page 183).

You probably want to have them already Initiated, or give them enough Hero Points to join up after the first adventure.

> Orlanth Aspects: quite a few people suggested that Orlanth Thunderous
> has a Fertility Affinity. But he doesn't. He has Clouds/Rain, Fight
> Elements, and Wind. Worshippers are listed as "air magicians". The
> nearest I can find to "a Fertilty affinity to help with crops, fields
etc." is
> Orlanth Farmer, with Agriculture and a Secret of Plow Any Field. Which
> would make sense, since this probably is what most normal Orlanthi
> males do with their time.

It is a Greggism that Thunderous is the "fertility" aspect, quoted at Convulsion. It's not official (yet, maybe never, I have to hash it out with him for Thunder Rebels).

> I'm going to let them have one skill at 1W, since they really must have
> basic competence at doing *something* without supervision in order to
> class as an adult. But it won't be combat-related. P120 tells me that a
> Heortling cottar has ability 15, so they should be lower than that.

Don't let them choose Close or Ranged combat (or combat related affinities) as their primary or secondary skills, make them leave them at the cultural or occupation keyword rating.