Re: Basic competency

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:03:10 -0000

Which of course can be translated as "The sort of thing no one ever fails at - no need to roll" so a score of 12 (or 17, or 10 or 6) could represent this just fine

>In game system
> terms that means achieving a 'victory' result (at least Orlanthi)
all
> the time. That requires a mastery. Greg underlined this at
Convulsion
> this year.

Part of me agrees with him, and part doesn't, as per the above argument...

> Granted, for new adults that competency will be in
> something unexciting, such as Farming or Herding.

So anyone with "herding" as an ability can keep the herd together, or move it from settlement to hills (or vice versa) under normal circumstances without needing to roll - anyone without it will need to improvise from some other skill to do this much. Of course when the bandits/wolves/telmori/broo start attacking, that's when you need to roll, and not everyone will manage to avoid loosing any animals in these circumstances - hence not everyone has a mastery...

> Some people seem to get nervous about the word 'mastery', especially
> when used for normal folks rather than heroes, but 'mastery' is just
> a game system construct. I doubt so many would be bothered it we
> wrote 1W as 21.

This is probably true - Calling someone with basic competency in a skill a "master" seems wrong, somehow - I blame Greg for not coming up with a "Competency" Rune all those years ago...