Re: Re: various bits (the bit about shamans)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:26:01 -0400

At 07:57 AM 08/31/2000 -0700, David Dunham wrote:
>Andy
>> Shamans seem to have mad/crazed personality traits.
>
>You must be thinking of kolatings. The most famous shaman of Dragon
>Pass is the Feathered Horse Queen, and she's not crazed (see p.108).
>
>But today I'm leaning towards not giving all shamans Bargain, letting
>Tradition Knowledge be a main ability.

No, I would guess that the Feathered Horse Queen chose Wise under personality traits; however, the other choice is Crazed. I'm not saying that all shamans are crazy/mad (contrary to David Chart's insinuation that I think that all shamans are identical), but I am saying that there is a trend toward shaman madness shown in HW:RiG. Orlanthi spirit-talkers (apparently including Kolat, Serdrodosa, Chalk Man, The Six Sisters, etc.) have Slightly Mad, Grazer shamans have Crazed or Wise, and Jakaleel deals with Madness Spirits and Lune allies (though oddly enough Jakaleel has no Lunar shaman keyword and so no personality traits).

On a related note: Is the Kolat keyword restricted to male worshippers and, if so, when and why did that happen?

Thanks,
Andy