Re: Followers

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:55:36 -0700

hw-rules_at_egroups.com wrote:

> From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Followers
>
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:07:32 +0100, Benedict Adamson
> <badamson_at_...> wrote:
>
> >Are followers, as per the rules, too unbalancing?
>
> They certainly CAN be, yes. My Shaman (whomever it is she worships...)
> can have up to FIVE Followers (I usually just take a couple on any
> journey), her AP total can top 100, ensuring she almost always acts

I have to agree, they CAN be if the player is a munchkin or a mini-maxer. My stormvoice has 12 followers (main ability for each is 8w2 with 2-3 sentence descrptions). 5 of those follower are warriors of one sort or another and can add 232 AP to Gudny's combat. But due to the many duties that Gudny has he rarely keeps more than 2 of the warriors with him and he is a priest, he rarely uses his combat anyways. I have two reasons for that many followers, first (and most importantly) they fill mythic roles in my ceremonies and add support to my rituals. Second they perform duties for me that allow me to adventure. The Morguth Crushingskull, a Stormbull berserker, is my contact at the Block. Slip the Tracker is my eyes and ears in the Border Marches, Tharn Raindancer maintains my household-in-exile and guards it. Ihave two bodyguards, one storm-priest that tags along as extra firepower, one storm-priest that manages the temple that I founded. My Issaries translator and my ARgan Argar troll manage my finances etc etc.

Our GM has begun playing with the idea of running a few one-off sessions where we play other people's followers because our characters do have things they want to do that the other characters can't really help with. Our shaman wants to form his own spirit cult and needs to do some heavy heroquesting, My character has some loose ends he wants to tie up in Culbriland etc.