Re: Re: Followers

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 17:03:56 +0100

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:31:31 -0700, David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote:

>Wulf disagrees

Well, actually, I didn't, fundamentally... however...

>> They certainly CAN be, yes. My Shaman (whomever it is she worships...)
>> can have up to FIVE Followers (I usually just take a couple on any
>> journey), her AP total can top 100, ensuring she almost always acts
>> first in an exchange.

>5 followers who all have relevant abilities?

No, that would be a very rare situation indeed. A couple are Spirit talker apprentices, a couple are dead folk (a Chalana Arroy ghost and, thanks to Anaxial, a Passion Ghost) and one's her brother, a trader. It's POSSIBLE they might all be relevant, but I can't think when. Besides, as I said, I only use a couple at once. But with a Fetch acting as a follower, plus a Sprit Talker follower and a Ghost Follower, she did make over 80 once.

>> They have personality (and a 25-word
>> writeup apiece), and don't usually just make my character invulnerable
>> to AP loss. If followers are too important and do too much, the hero
>> shouldn't be rewarded for actions he/she hasn't actually done.
>
>A 25 word writeup is nice, but a narrator is also free to point out
>that followers have two helpful abilities according to the rules
>(admittedly one might be a keyword), and could pare things down by
>enforcing this.

Actually, as I read it, both could be keywords. Nonetheless, I still say the best way to reduce follower imbalance is to treat them as individuals, not just extra skills. Allow them some input, run off to help a fallen comrade, have them just run off (and shamefully atone for it later). Plus, remember the Follower rating. If you have only Follower 13, that follower will not be available about 35% of the time (which is why I take only a couple at once).

Wulf