RE: Basic Competencies

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:22:52 +0100

Wulf writes:

> I considered this too, but basically HW already has this in the
> system, by using a Simple Contest or ability check.

Kinda... Not exactly the same, though. Choosing to "Take 10" in D&D3 is a player option, not a GM call. ("Fighting Harrek? I'll resolve that as a simple ability check, please...").

> I believe (don't have DD3e) there are some limits on who can use the
> takes anyway, you must be able to succeed on a roll of 10 or 20 with a
> normal roll before you can use the takes, I think.

Not quite. You get the same result you'd have got with a roll of 10 or 20 -- and if that's a fail, you fail. ("I was up all night trying to pick the chest's lock in my workshop -- looks like I'll *never* understand that mechanism!")

I'm still not sure how it would fit in with HW's mechanics, as most resolutions involve a resistance die roll as well as an actor's.

Cheers, Nick