Re: Still converting that low-level RQ campaign

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 19:12:15 +0100

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:41:59 +0100, "Jane Williams" <jane_at_....co.uk> wrote:

>Well, we've been through the initial character (re-)generation now, and
>it went quite well. (Except for the player who wanted every skill listed on
>his RQ character sheet to be listed on the HW sheet: and by RQ
>standards, there were a lot of them).

We gave up on that straight away, and stuck to the 100 word writeup plus a few extra sentences for the more experienced characters. Even so, we got some skills better at HW base values than in RQ with experience!

>That's one bit of rules I couldn't find. If two starting keywords give you
>the same skill, but at different levels, what are you supposed to do
>about it?

Use the higher one.

>And that was almost it. Until we looked at the Close Combat skill, and
>said "spear & shield 13, sword & shield 12, what's the CC skill?" And
>totally failed to find it in the rules or examples. What is it? Lowest skill?
>Highest skill? Something else?

Again, the highest, 13 in this case. All known weapons techniques are used at the CC value (although we are now probably going to have increasing CC cost the same as an Affinity, and allow increasing individual techniques or Feats at the lower ability cost).

>Same for Ranged of course: what does my ex-hunter Vingan, with
>Archery 8 and Javelin 12 get for Ranged Combat?

12, as above.

>And we'd already decided we needed a generic Craft skill for one chap
>(he had Devise at high levels, plus Craft Wood, Craft Reeds and gods
>only know what else). The same rule will apply, when I find out what it is.

Call it 'Craft'. Call it 'Fred' if you like...

>And we have the various family and followers to do. I decline to worry
>about whether they're allies, dependents, followers, or what: they're
>*people*, and which category they fall into will depend on what we're
>doing that session. Quite a lot of them have been PCs before now.

I converted a lot of former 2nd-rank PCs into followers and dependents, but beware! Too many followers can be extremely unbalancing in a low level game. We just ran a game (fighting some broo - traditional, but nasty) where my character started with 60-odd AP and everyone else had only 20-odd at most (although things changed radically after a few exchanges and a few crits...). At low levels attrition could be the deciding factor, and the one with most followers will win (at higher levels, it's easier to bid higher and rip off more AP).

Wulf