Re: Re: Still converting that low-level RQ campaign

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 16:13:12 +0100

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:44:40 -0000, "Jane Williams" <jane_at_....co.uk> wrote:

>> >That's one bit of rules I couldn't find. If two starting keywords
>give you
>> >the same skill, but at different levels, what are you supposed to
>do
>> >about it?
>>
>> Use the higher one.
>
>Thanks. Page reference? (Yes, the players are likely to demand
>evidence, since I'd been increasing the skill to the higher +1).

OK, as all your questions relate to the same 'meta-skill' format, I 'll answer all at once. A character only has one skill each in Close Combat, Ranged Combat, and any other 'meta-skill' you might care to invent (like Craft). ALL known subsets of that skill (like sword & shield, sword & spear for CC, like archery, javelin for RC) are known at the FULL skill. No improvs on known techniques, the character is assumed to have practised all up to the one level.

References... well, there's a bit about it on p23, but that's not too clear. The check through the Narrative on p27 isn't much better (but if you check the numbers yourself it is better).

However, we are considering changing things a bit by making meta-skills cost as much as Affinities to improve (3 or 6 HP per increase), while allowing individual techniques within them to be improved by the lower amount of an ability (1 or 2 HP). Thus, improve CC for 3 points and all techniques go up, or pay less and get a +1 on Javelin. You should still START a character at the highest technique value, for simplicity, but thereafter might, for example, have

Ranged Combat: 12(archery, javelin +2)

thus rolling archery at 12, javelin at 14.

>> > The same rule will apply, when I find out what it is.
>
>> Call it 'Craft'. Call it 'Fred' if you like...
>
>Yes... the question was "what is the rule?", not "what is the name?",
>but thanks for the thought.

Sorry, same rule as above :)

>> I converted a lot of former 2nd-rank PCs into followers and
>> dependents, but beware! Too many followers can be extremely
>> unbalancing in a low level game.
>
>I suspected that. I'm not going to allow more than one follower per
>PC
>in any given scenario. Maybe the limit will go up later, but that's
>quite enough for now.

One per scenario, but more can be left back at home. Or use them creatively - our lot anted to use my Spirit Talker's Ghost follower as a lookout:
Them: "She never sleeps, and she can move fast to alert the other group across the valley!"
Me: "Yes, and she has an aura of Terrify Mortal. Now, it doesn't bother my Spirit Talker anymore, but who's digging the latrines for this night's fun campsite?"

Wulf