Masteries

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:17:36 +0100

<snip>
>>I think Greg is just wrong, and hasn't really tought out what he said at
>>the Convulsion.

This has been discussed a length on the list already. I think Greg has thought it through and I agree with him. You can argue the toss about any of the points you raised - it depends purely how you define normal circumstances.

This is a pretty pointless debate, in the sense that while the rules imply masteries are common they do not mandate it.

>>> Looking at the Rules, p120 tells me that making a Jourenyman quality
>>> item starts at 1W: a Masterwork starts at 1W2.
>>
>>I'd definitely say that one makes ones masterpiece at 1W.

This may be a translation problem. Masterpiece has (at least) two senses in English 1) the piece of work that an apprentice completes to prove his competence and end his apprenticeship 2) a great piece of work marking the high point of an artists or craftman's career. Greg believes that comptence can be graded roughly like this for Hero Wars:

  1. never fumble under ordinary circumstances
  2. never fail under ordinary circumstances
  3. always succeed under ordinary circumstances
  4. always critical under ordinary circumstances

For Greg most mature adults will have competence 1) in at least one ability. This fits in perfectly in my view with heroic games (and real life) but YGMV.

>>> It sounds to me as if a skill that a PC has got well enough to be of value
>>> to the clan should be at least at 1W. Not the "everyone can do that"
>>> skills, but, say Brew Cider. Fishing. Cooking. Something that isn't that
>>> unusual, but not everyone is that good. Obviously I'm not going to list
>>> Walk 1W2 (or even Chew Gum 1W2), but there are people who can't
>>> cook, or fish, so it's worth mentioning it when someone can.
>>
>>This is a well known RPG phenomenon called "inflation". We saw this with
>>bad RQ character writeups at some published works, with NPC:s having
>>200+ skills and almost everybody having a DEX of 18+.
>>
>>I recommend that you don't set your foot on that path.

I think that is a mistaken view. Very few other rpgs have scalable rules which permit high power level characters. Hero Wars does, but you don't have to use it. There is a big difference that inflation and Arnulf the steadowner having Farming at 1W (which is Greg's proposition).

Thom