Re: Re: Mastery, Competence & Inflation

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:02:16 +0100

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:26:22 +0100, "Graham Robinson" <gjrobinson_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

>use
>fail as roughly 'minor bad thing happens' and fumble as 'major bad thing
>happens'.

I've always considered Fumbles as 'bad enough failure that you can't just repeat the task'. Cooking: no-one who ate the last meal will (or is healthy enough!) to eat the next one. Software design: Elite First Encounter (anyone else buy that crap?). Shepherding: lose so many sheep the next task is to get a new flock! In HW terms, failures mean the same task may not be repeated without a change in circumstances or skill, but I'd say a fumble just means it's impossible to repeat without major separate tasks: repairing relationship to your cooking victims, moving to a decent software company (I really hated that game...), buying more sheep.

Personally, I support the professional requirement of a mastery, simply for the game mechanics requirements. You need a mastery to get a decent chance of a success against an average resistance or difficulty. A shepherd who can't find his flock in a fog isn't much good.

Wulf