Re: (nothing to do with) followers

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:37:23 -0000

> > If two starting keywords give you
> > the same skill, but at different levels, what are you supposed to
do
> > about it?
>
> You get the ability once, at whatever source (i.e. occupation
> keyword) makes it better. (Otherwise you'd get it twice, at two
> different ratings, which is silly.)

The option we considered was the higher level +1. Otherwise the lower rating is just lost completely, and one would hope they'd have learnt *something* from the "revision". Drat, I'll have to down-grade the Duck's Boast (which he got from 3 sources).

> (but I recommend you ignore
> weapon ranks altogether, and if you don't, write them under the
Rank
> column instead of under the Rating column!).

Yes: that really confused us!

> These 13s and 12s weren't generated using Hero Wars, right?

Yes. 13 from Culture, 12 from Orlanth initiate.

> > Same for Ranged of course: what does my ex-hunter Vingan, with
> > Archery 8 and Javelin 12 get for Ranged Combat?
>
> I don't see why she'd have such abilities

12 from being a Vingan initiate, 8 from her Occupation being split between Hunter and Brewer. (I gave her Brewer at 10, Hunter at 8)

> > So all Close Combat abilities will always be the same.
>
> Yes. Which actually makes some sense to me -- I've learned to use
all
> three fencing weapons. Each is unique, and until I learned it (1
hero
> point) I couldn't apply my full fencing ability.

But could you apply your fencing ability to, say, spear & shield? Or 2H club? Or Vulgar Brawling? I would have thought that at least, converting from foil to epee would have been easier than to some totally different weapon. But I've never tried: has anyone else?

Still, if them's the rules (and there doesn't seem to be any argument there), that's what I'll go with to start with.

> It's certainly plausible to have a generic Craft skill, with
> improvisational modifiers. The chart on p.32 implies that you can
do
> this (though Craft is about the only skill I think it might be
worth
> doing to).

We're considering this for Languages, too. So far I can't find a HW language system. Will re-read the ToC...

> > I have still to look up weapon ranks, edges, and armour ...
>
> Broken record: don't bother. They frequently cancel out anyway, and
> IMO they add nothing to play.

As far as I can see, everyone's using rank 3 weapons, but armour varies. I'll put them in, and expect them to cancel on most occasions.

> > So I've got at least one mastery in Cooking.
>
> Not having tasted your cooking, I'd say you are a self-respecting
> cook and never have to roll.

And how does one distinguish a "self-respecting cook" from someone who
can barely make toast? By a number on the character sheet, surely? Theirs would be 6. If we accept my lack of fumbles under normal circumstances, surely that's the 1w described as "journeyman" ability on p118?

(If you want an unbiased opinion on my "medieval feast for 60" type cooking, ask Mike Cule. He's tasted a lot more than 20 dishes that I've cooked. He'll know how many were Fails, Successes, or Crits, though not the extent to which this was achieved by bump-ups. But he doesn't seem to be a member of this list.)