Re: Basic competency

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:41:24 +0100

>No? If you only have a 12% chance, it means your
>opponent is roughly 8 times better than you.

That doesn't follow, any more than saying that someone in RQ with 100% is 10 times better than someone with 10%. If someone is twice as strong as me, then they will beat me at arm-wrestling every time. Not 95%, EVERY time. Even if they are only 10% stronger, they will probably beat me 85% of the time. I will have to catch them at a bad moment, get them drunk, wait until they have arm-wrestled five other people first, etc. in order to have a good chance of winning.

>Please, Philip, if you want to insult/irritate me you can
>do better than that (and, hopefully, in private email).

I don't. I reaslised that what I was writing could be interpreted as a personal jibe, but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it. I appologise.

I still maintain that you are misunderstanding "mastery" and taking the name too literally.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.