Re: Masteries

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:23:00 +0100

> From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
>I'd say rolls for a hero are ordinarily under adverse conditions,
>otherwise why bother rolling? I.e. ordinary circumstances aren't
>really that ordinary.

As said elsewhere, we were arguing about NPCs, not heroes. Mastery inflation can't IMO apply to Heroes unless you have no control over your PC starting level.

>Furthermore, about the competency ranking. I judge myself as pretty
>good at what i do for a living. However, while not common, i do make
>more or less stupid mistakes that create further obstacles for myself
>that i have to correct. That is a fumble. It's not an irrevocable
>consequence, but something that makes it harder for you to achieve
>your goal*. If i would never fumble, i would be the God of my chosen
>field. The "never fumble" idiocy simply doesn't reflect gloranthan
>reality, especially not at starting character level.

I think we'll just have to disagree. For me a fumble has the potential for complete defeat and can not usually be recovered from without additional risk (unlike a failure which may just be uncomfortable or take longer etc.).

Thom

Thom Baguley
Human Experimental Psychology
Human Sciences, Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK. Tel: +44(0)1509 223049 Fax: 223940
http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~hutsb/