Re: Digest Number 260

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:33:32 +0100

> From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
>That's scary! I mean, people do joke about english cooking, but... And
>no, I think I have a decent upbringing educating me on germs and food
>preservation (home and school).
> My food may not always taste too good, but you won't die of it. Id
>think I have a skill of 12, parhaps even 14, but no more.

Which might mean that against normal resistance you make barely edible food 50% of the time ...(BTW Food poisoning is very common, probably increasing in frequency and mostly undiagnosed. Refrigeration doesn't necessary protect against it - in fact it can make the problem worse if foods are cooked, chilled and warmed again. Buying bacteria free food is also potentially dangerous as any bacteria it comes in contact with will have no competetion).

>Parhaps for a cottar. And even so, I'd say the main ability is farming,
>or some kind of craft. I still think speeh herding is simple (at least
>considering that learning it costs as much HP as difficult crafts or
>fighting skills (especially if CC is just 1HP to advance)).

I think shepherding is difficult. A shepherd will have to constantly tend the sheep to avoid disease and probablty treat common ailments too. You can lose the entire flock through inattention (I'm reminded of Gabriel Oak at the beginning of Far from The Madding Crowd).

Thom

Thom Baguley
Human Experimental Psychology
Human Sciences, Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK. Tel: +44(0)1509 223049 Fax: 223940
http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~hutsb/