Re: Spirit Talkers and Heortlings

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:49:34 -0000

> I have a question regarding spirits, spirit combat, and spirit-
> talkers in Sartar.

I've got loads of them...

> My question is this: there are Spirit-Talkers in Sartar. There
are
> also plenty of spirits (!) - disease, passion, etc. How much truck
> does your average (Theist) Sartarite have with the Spirit-Talkers?

On an average day, none. When there's a ghost about, he'd head for the Spirit Talker faster than you'd call the sewerage man when there's a bad smell.

> Would, for example, a Sartarite who knew he was going up against a
> Malia nest (the situation in my campaign) approach a Spirit-Talker
> for some type of fetish-based aid? Would a (Theist) Sartarite ever
> contemplate, or rules-wise be able to, learn the Spirit Combat
> ability in the same way I believe some animist non-Shamans do? I
can
> certainly imagine a game-world rationale for this, but rules-wise?

This is precisely the situation in our campaign at present (helped by the fact the Spirit Talker is my character...). I do not like the idea of Theists learning Spirit Combat, as it's an ability leaned in Keywords only by Animists, inferring it requires an Animist mindset. Remember, Spirit Combat is needed only to attack or capture spirits. Just defending against them can use Strong Will, a Combat Affinity, whatever. I would (and have) allowed Theists to get the use of fetishes to help them defend against spirits.

> mo is that the Humakti can merely attempt to resist the attacks of
> their disease, fear, madness, whatever spirits at the default 14,

Only if they have absolutely no will-based abilities or affinities (a Humakti without combat affinities?)

> which never improves,

Even if they start at 14, they can buy Strong Will or Resist Spirit for a HP and start to improve that. From a base of 12, I admit...

>and hope to bash the hell out of them with
> swords and stuff... Would these same Humakti ever consider
> approaching some mad Spirit-Talker in the mountains for a single-
use
> (?)fetish of a Face Chaos passion spirit, or a Healing Spirit, or
> some such?

Can't see why not. But it'll cost them... and the stuff a Spirit Talker wants for payment can be downright weird (and great for the plot).

> Forgive me if I sound muddled - it's clear that Kolati belong,
> however strangely, to the Heortling culture - it's their
interaction
> with "mainstream" Heortling culture that I'm interested in.

It's their Misapplied Worship I'm confused by...

Wulf