Re: weapon ranks

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 15:34:39 +0200

Wulf Corbett :

> In fact, looking through Anaxial's, there are very few entries
> (animal or sentient) with the standard ^3, or near it. Personally I
> think Ranks are way too low, and have an inadequate effect on combat
> - about double the surrent level would be more realistic. And shields
> should give a defensive bonus, not an edge at all (or at least a hell
> of a big edge, breaking through a shield is a hell of a lot harder
> than piercing light leather armour, as the ^1 a shield adds seems to
> suggest).

I mostly agree.

So, here's a re-hash of my two groats on the subject :

Because of the mechanics of HW (opposed contests instead of skill checks), the scale used for equipment, arms, and magic items should (from a 'simulationist' POV) be based on 50% of equivalent values in D&D, Pendragon, or RQ. So, IMO, lamellar should be ^3, and platemail ^4.

This is close to what HW:RiG has on p. 147.

The ^ of a converted weapon should probably be 1/2 average damage (rounded up),

so a RQ dagger should be ^3 and a greatsword ^5. Unlike the rules in HW. Most 'simulationist' RPGs assume that weapons are inherently more powerful than armour, as a game balance feature. I actually believe that the weapons and armour rules in HW are incorrect (from a 'simulationist' POV), and that historically, weapons are more efficient than armour.

One could derive 'simulationist' HW weapons & armour lists from the RQ ones fairly easily using these basic principles.

An AD&D 2-handed sword +4 (but let's use the more sensible RQ greatsword damage

rules as a basis) would do an average of (2D8 + 4) or 13, x1/2 = 6.5 rounded up

makes a ^7 weapon. Or, (greatsword ^5 +4/2) = ^7.

A matrix for Bladesharp 8 should should be equivalent to a ^4 Bladesharp Spirit/Fetish. Using it on a greatsword would produce a ^9 weapon. And so on.

I don't think that ^1 for a shield is too low, but a specific rule for shields might
be appropriate.

How about :

Small shield : ^-1 when attacking, ^1 when defending Large shield : ^-2 when attacking, ^2 when defending

Superior shields : ^+1

I don't think that this would be too complicated a fix, would it ?

cheers,

Julian Lord