Spirit Talkers and Heortlings

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:01:47 +0100

> From: "Sarah Newton" <sarah.newton_at_...>
>
>Me again - beavering away with my new HW campaign in Western Sartar.
>I have a question regarding spirits, spirit combat, and spirit-
>talkers in Sartar.

Technically a Q. for the non-rules list? However ...

>I've not really got to grips with the Animist rules yet - I'm playing
>principally in a Theist environment, getting to know how those rules
>work before branching out - otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll end up
>fudging something from the old RQ rules, which I'm not sure I want.

Similar to my position.

>My question is this: there are Spirit-Talkers in Sartar. There are
>also plenty of spirits (!) - disease, passion, etc. How much truck
>does your average (Theist) Sartarite have with the Spirit-Talkers?
>Would, for example, a Sartarite who knew he was going up against a
>Malia nest (the situation in my campaign) approach a Spirit-Talker
>for some type of fetish-based aid? Would a (Theist) Sartarite ever
>contemplate, or rules-wise be able to, learn the Spirit Combat
>ability in the same way I believe some animist non-Shamans do? I can
>certainly imagine a game-world rationale for this, but rules-wise?

King of Drgaon Pass gets it just about right for me. Theists consult Shamans when they are in need of expert spirit magicians, but even then only allied traditions (such as Kolati) tend to be called on. Clans and individuals will also vary. I'd say 15% (1-Orlanthi all) of clans have a more mixed approach (and for a further 15% Kolati or Earthwitches might play a prominent role in daily life). In those clans people sharing the clan Shaman bloodline might learn spirit combat. IMO spirit combat as a skill wouldn't impose misapplied worship penalties for talents gained during play (1 point to cement).

>Frex, our Humakti know they're up against some pretty stiff Chaotic
>opposition, in the form of broos, bagogi, and worse. The enemy are
>all animists, and likely to be set up with some pretty stiff spirit
>support. All my understanding of the rules allows me to think at the
>mo is that the Humakti can merely attempt to resist the attacks of
>their disease, fear, madness, whatever spirits at the default 14,
>which never improves, and hope to bash the hell out of them with
>swords and stuff... Would these same Humakti ever consider
>approaching some mad Spirit-Talker in the mountains for a single-use
>(?)fetish of a Face Chaos passion spirit, or a Healing Spirit, or
>some such?

They'll resist at worst using the Initiate/Devotee of Humakt rating of at least 17 in my game ("I call upon my Humakt to protect me"). I'd let creative players use affinities and other abilities too (as appropriate or if well-roleplayed). For example, I'd let a Devotee resist a fear spirit with his Death affinity: e.g., "I have embraced death and no man or spirit can terrify me".

Having said that I don't see anything wrong in seeking out help from a Kolati (but they'll owe him a big favour).

>Forgive me if I sound muddled - it's clear that Kolati belong,
>however strangely, to the Heortling culture - it's their interaction
>with "mainstream" Heortling culture that I'm interested in.

You don't sound muddled at all. In my player's clan Kolati are regarded as nutters, but sometimes useful. A less firmly theist clan might regarding them as nutters, but "our" nutters.

Thom