Re: on shields

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:31:17 +0300 (EET DST)

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:26:51 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari
> <mikrin_at_...> wrote:
>
> >We disagree there then Wulf. Would you like to fight with a hoplite
> >shield then, if I challenged you into a duel.
> >
> >My broadsword & target shield vs. Your broadsword & hoplite shield

Wulf again.
> Sure, I have no problems there, I've tried it (medaeval 'barn door'
> shield, rather than hoplite). But, as I said before, this is not a
> matter of visibility, but of inappropriate equipment. Hoplite shields
> are meant to be used in mass tactics. They do not create blind spots,
> as you hold them close to the body, and can look over the top.

I think we are speaking of the same things. I (and SCA people here) feel that a large shield creates a space where an opponent can be very hard to get at. The large shields are also slow to swing around, and create problems with your center of mass.

> Target
> shields are more likely to blind you, as more energetic types make the
> mistake of blocking high blows with them, blinding themselves.

I at least wield a target shield so that the edge points towards my opponent, much of the time anyway.

> Also,
> you do NOT use a broadsword with a hoplite shield, you use a thrusting
> weapon like a spear or stabbing sword, so the shield does not
> interfere with the weapon, even in a shieldwall. Again, appropriate
> equipment.
>
> Wulf

Oh, do that Wulf, and I will eat you for lunch. A hoplite shield & spear is great in a phalanx, but once the swordsman get's close you are history. You'll get one thrust ;)

        -Adept