Re: on shields

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 21:51:51 +0100

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:31:17 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_utu.fi> wrote:

>> Also,
>> you do NOT use a broadsword with a hoplite shield, you use a thrusting
>> weapon like a spear or stabbing sword, so the shield does not
>> interfere with the weapon, even in a shieldwall. Again, appropriate
>> equipment.

>Oh, do that Wulf, and I will eat you for lunch. A hoplite shield & spear
>is great in a phalanx, but once the swordsman get's close you are
>history. You'll get one thrust ;)

I doubt it, rapid jabs by any thrusting weapon would soon wear out a small shield wielder, while the big shield will stop any swinging blows far easier. And by the way, phalanxes use long spears, hoplites used short spears or shortswords. It's hard to get closer than a shortsword, and when you do, it's the broadsword that's useless, with no room to swing or thrust. But anyway you make my point for me. You challenge me to a duel, then insist I use all the wrong equipment. Why would I be using hoplite gear in a 1-to-1 combat? Your criticism of large shields is based on unrealistic situations you would put them in.

Wulf