Re: on shields

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:06:57 +0300 (EET DST)

Wulf:
> >> Also,
> >> you do NOT use a broadsword with a hoplite shield, you use a thrusting
> >> weapon like a spear or stabbing sword, so the shield does not
> >> interfere with the weapon, even in a shieldwall. Again, appropriate
> >> equipment.

Me:
> >Oh, do that Wulf, and I will eat you for lunch. A hoplite shield & spear
> >is great in a phalanx, but once the swordsman get's close you are
> >history. You'll get one thrust ;)
>
> I doubt it, rapid jabs by any thrusting weapon would soon wear out a
> small shield wielder, while the big shield will stop any swinging
> blows far easier.

Who says anything about swinging ;) The spear is easy to knock aside for a moment either with the shield or the sword (I meight prefer to go without even the target), and after that I'd parhaps prefer to land a solid kick on that nice large shield of yours. But then again, I'm a heretic that studies Shinobi (Ninja) tricks.

> And by the way, phalanxes use long spears, hoplites
> used short spears or shortswords.

Sloppy of me, but I do know that. I was trying to simplify. Hoplites is what I meant. Tho hoplite actually means "Heavy infantry", or "heavy weaponed", and vere called so even after the introduction of phalanx tactics.

> It's hard to get closer than a
> shortsword, and when you do, it's the broadsword that's useless, with
> no room to swing or thrust.

Yes, the roman legionaire shield & gladius was a nasty combination in a shieldwall. A real macedonian phalanx would eat them for breakfast tho, but is sure was mean on those unarmed celts that were used a manly free for all melee.

> But anyway you make my point for me. You
> challenge me to a duel, then insist I use all the wrong equipment. Why
> would I be using hoplite gear in a 1-to-1 combat? Your criticism of
> large shields is based on unrealistic situations you would put them
> in.
>
> Wulf

Not at all Wulf. I meant that you need a different shield for different situations. If one just says "the bigger the shield, the bigger the bonus" as I saw suggested earlier, then one is ignoring much about shields. There are situations where a large shield is handy, and others, where it will be a serious nuisanse.

Too bad we can't actually have a duel. I'd love to get to do some proper swordplay again (I'm a bit low on opponents here).

        -Adept