Re: Clarifying Augmentation

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 18:11:56 -0000

> A) augmentation:
> 1.)-the combat example on pp 142-43: as stated in the FAQ the
trollkin (club
> 6) augmented their ability to 12. but how could they do this. no
trollkin
> with a rating of 6 is able to augment that much. or am i wrong...?

There's a problem with that -- its in the FAQ and Erratta (on the Gloranthan website www.glorantha.com)

But, it could be that their master augmented them FOR them using Leadership, Fear Me, Crushing Blow feat (for example). Its an example, though perhaps poorly worded.

> 2.)-page 134: what happened to the "abilities and feats which can
only
> augment other abilities"? some feats seem to belong into this
category (like
> "swordhelp") but can those feats/abilities "work on their own", or,
to put
> it clearly: what is, for example swordhelp as augmentation, and
what is
> it as a stand alone feat?

Its always an enhancement. The phrase seemed pretty clear. However, if YOU as the Narrator think there's some other way for Swordhelp to be of use outside of a simple augment, then that is entirely your call.

I've allowed it to help when a player was using a sword to lever open a box without breaking the blade (He got an improv penalty, as I recall -- reember, if you don'tthink it should work, then it wont. If
an ability or affinity is being used in ways which won't work as well as it should, then you impose an improvisation penalty.

> i still don't understand the whole concept...examples, anybody?

Sword Help can only be used to assist your close combat abilty. In Anaxial's Record, Charge At Foe can only be used to augment the critter's Close Combat ability.

> 3.) pages 133-34: only one ability can be used to augment another,
but did i
> read right that there can be several feats at once augmenting an
ability?

Yes. You can use one non-magic thing and many magic things.

Example: I can use my Hate Black Oak Clan ability to augment my Close Combat (if I am fighting the Black Oaks, of course) but I then can't use my Vengeful ability to augment me when they charge. (Some GM's allow obviously 'always there' abilities like Large and Strong to be used automatically -- I allow this as well over the '1 non-magic augument only' limit.

> (like:" i'm attacking that warrior with my sword and shield ability,
> *boosted* by my visage of fear, my great blow and my weapon
> destroyer-feat...(rolling dice)..., giving a bonus of +9!" ???)

You have to do them all one by one as unrelated actions but in essence
you have it right. And yes, you can get a +9 or more. Think of it as
being pumped up before combat. And they are cumulative -- that means if you fail or screw up, you go down in total.

And, I admit, its just like the 'we pause to cast our battle magic before we ambush those trolls' from games of yore.

And remember, your opponents will be doing the same thing. And a magician, if he uses the multiple targets rule, can enhance (using an augment or an edge) a large gruop of less magically capable people.

I could do an example ofthis but it looked a bit too complex for your current needs. I hope that helps.

Jeff