Re: Clarifying Theistic Magic

From: Sir Ethilrist <stefan.drawert_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 20:54:19 +0200

> You might want to wander over to Glorantha,com and take a look at the FAQ
> and Errata (

I did, but still felt not comfortable with what I seemed to understand. As for the FAQ, maybe it could be updated with some of the Hw-Rules discussion...

> > B.) theistic magic
> >
> > 1.)-since there's no (rule) limitation of how often someone can use
magic
> > day, how can one imagine the common people, farmer and herders of the
> clan,
> > and their workings of magic? are they doing magics all day? in rq, a
> > character normally would not waste a point of divine magic for a brawl,
> > maybe not even some magic points, but in hw there seem to be no
limitation
> > (but the GM's)....
>
> They are probably doing "low-level" magic all day long - think of kissing
> lucky rabbit's foot, mutering a short prayer or crossing yourself, etc.

I rather meant the people with an affinity rating over 10 and maybe one or two feats (shouldn't be that few), not the *petty magic* stuff there seems to be an (bad word following ;-))) inflation of magic, at least with average or better-than-average people

> > btw, any suggestions about a rule of thumb for duration and range of
> feats?
> > (like:"if you want to do a swordhelp lasting 2 weeks, you got to make
an
> > affinity roll at d+40" ???)
>
> Usually for the duration of the contest (assuming a fight or something
> similar). Check out HW 230-232 for extending magic beyond normal limits.

sorry, missed that one...

> You normally use a feat to augment your skill. The difference is in the
> description, and sometimes in the defense - I might allow "fearless" to
> defend against "face of death", but not against "mighty blow".

if both feats are used to augment my attack, can my foe use his close combat abaility for *fighting* mine ("including" the Mighty Blow) and augment it with his "fearless" (versus my "face of death")?

    An augmentation can give AP, give a
> bonus to ability ratings, or give an edge. AP represents staying power
and
> advantage, Ability bonus makes it easier to hit, and an Edge makes a hit
> more effective ("adds damage", basically).

thanks for that definition, it was something I would have asked, but ylipped off my (small) mind while typing

and sorry for expressing myself a bit complicated, but for me, english will ever be at D+3w

stefan