Re: Clarifying Combat/Extended Contests

From: Sir Ethilrist <stefan.drawert_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 21:39:36 +0200

Me:
> > (c1) uses his sword and shield ability, but after one exchange
decides
> > to do some light feat to scare the troll off. ability switch o.k.(page
> 137),
> > but only the ability value would change. that does not sound right to
me.
> > switching to simple contest (troll rolls for blinding?)???

Roderick:
> No, he'd bid AP and roll against the troll in the extended contest using
his
> Light affinity, rather than his Sword & Shield. Note that his AP would
not
> "reset" just because he switched abilities.

So, if he uses his light affinity against the troll, the GM should give him a bonus or an edge for blinding a creature of darkness? Or does the ability switch force the troll to change to a better fitting ability, too?

> > (t5) fires his sling against (c1) and (c2) while engaged to (t2)
and
> > (t3). does he lend his trollmates AP? and what if meanwhile
(c3)

> It can be, or it can just be an attack on either C1 or C2.

when it is an attack, and C1 or 2 are fighting with their CC-ability against the trolls,
can the character use this for the missile attack, too? IIRC, the examples in the rule book only feature contest in which all participants use the same sort of ability, there's no "I discuss with the carls, while dodging the spit attacks of the eurmali".

because fireing
> into melee is a pretty dumb thing to do, I'd give him a chance to hurt
his
> buddy...

we are talking about a *troll* ....
(serious: just an example..., maybe a bad one)

thanks,
stefan