Index, Edges in Simple Contests

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:01:20 +0100

Roderick writes:

> No problem, I've got the index up here <taps head>.

How much would you sell your head to Jeff Kyer for? :-)

Stefan asked about using edges in simple contests. I believe the answer to his question is that you can convert remaining edges (after they cancel each other out) into straight ability bonuses by simply halving them -- this is what the Augmentation Table suggests to me, anyway. I agree, of course, with the general consensus that edges for weapons and armour aren't usually worth bothering with.

Example: an Iron Dwarf with weapon rank ^7, Close Combat ability 5W1 fights a Heortling fyrd member with basic armour ^3, Close Combat 17. No point making this an extended contest (no PC's involved, maybe?), so just boost the Iron Dwarf's ability by +2 (for four uncancelled ranks' advantage). Make a simple contest roll of 7W1 against 17 -- is that easy enough?

(If you want more decisive simple contests, you could port edges across unadjusted -- their increased bonus vs. simple augmentations could be hand-waved away as reflecting the fact that edges usually cut several times in an extended contest, vs. once only in a simple roll. But this would mean more nit-picky adjustments for weapon and armour ranks, so I don't favour it myself).

Now, how do you use boosted APs in simple contests? (If we can crack that, we can probably scrap extended contests altogether! :-)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_...> Nick