Augmenting AP? [Was: Re: Clarifying Theistic Magic]

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:35:01 +0200

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000, Graham, Andrew wrote:
> Now to get back to the subject, Roderick Robertson said you could use
> Theistic magic to increase your AP. Sounds good but has anyone seen where it
> says that in the rules ?

I fear that Rodericks statement
>An augmentation can give AP, give abonus to ability ratings, or give an edge.
perhaps should be read as "An enhancement can _lend AP_" etc.

However, I think there should be room for AP augmentation. Technically I suppose you could use the AP lending mechanism, on a complete or major victory the recipient gets the AP without the lender losing any. But it seems clumsy.

I would allow AP augmentation just as if it were a edge, i.e. 5 resistance for +2 AP. The normal limitations would apply, so that you could only augment once with the same feat, regardless of wether you wanted an edge, bonus or boosted AP.

Doing this before the contest seems unproblematic, you get more AP than if you had gone for a bonus, but no bonus to your target number. A bonus to your target number is probably more cost effective.

During an extended contest I am not really sure how it would work, and I am far from sure if I would allow it. (Certainly not after a hero has reached zero AP!) Perhaps it is unproblematic, it is an unrelated action, and gives less AP than lending (resistance 1/AP).
It could be seen as a short breathing spell (unrelated action) while you invoke your God (or whatever).
But gaining AP during a contest feels tricky. I need to playtest it.

What abilities could you use for this? Possibly some healing magic. Perhaps mobility feats before combat. An Elmali could perhaps use his Stand Fast during combat. A trickster could use his Joke during a discussion.

--
Henrix