Action Points in Simple Contests

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 07:23:18 +0100

Benedict Adamson wrote:

>> Now, how do you use boosted APs in simple contests? (If we can crack that,
>> we can probably scrap extended contests altogether! :-)

> Have the followers use their ability to augment the hero's ability,
> rather than providing an AP battery.

That's a nice suggestion (although it wasn't what I was thinking about, but hey...). String that together with better resolution of augmentations, and you've got the makings of an elegantly streamlined set of house rules. (I hope).

For the record: I mostly dislike extended contests because they are so much more complex than other parts of HW -- it seems ironic to me that this rules-lite "storytelling" system was designed to become mechanically intensive whenever something *really* worth telling stories about is going on.

Further, it's annoying that some features of the game were only designed to work with extended contests (anything to do with edges or action points, frex), and that no effort went into converting these for use in simpler contests.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_...> Nick