Re: converting

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:06:01 -0700

Jane is still converting characters:

> My only real trouble is that HW only allows one "profession", and
> several of these guys have had more than one. They go hunting with
> mum, and brewing beer with dad, or something. So that 12 or 13 got
> split, and I'm still very unsure how to do this.

An earlier draft worried about multiple keywords. I believe you got the first one at -2 and the second at -4, compared to a 1-keyword person. This should work, or you could fudge along these lines.

You're also free not to worry about it -- sure, some characters will have more abilities at base level, but they will still only have so many they can increase in play.

And as Jeff pointed out, taking specific abilities is probably easiest in some ways.

> He's devoted to Orlanth (small "d"), but not
> really up to the skill and knowledge levels implied by being a
> Devotee.

Devotee doesn't imply anything to me, only a level of commitment (and connection) to the deity. A just-initiated girl could become devoted to Babeester Gor if she chose to; this wouldn't mean she's necessarily a god-talker. But she would spend most of her time walking around with an axe and scowling, instead of just keeping an axe under her pillow.

Robert

> a) a very interesting but hard change to make from RQ and other
> systems, and b) possibly (!) unplayable at the moment without
> someone experienced in the system.

Yes, it's IMO a different way of thinking, a different sort of GM tool.

Our playtest group managed to play without having anyone experienced, so it ought to be possible. But feel free to ask lots of questions to get you over the hurdle.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein