Re: Digest Number 260

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 23:16:04 +0200

Thom:
> >>Yes. This, I believe was Greg's argument. A professional skill you have
>>>been doing day-in, day-out for your whole life should be mastered.
>>
>>If you have been doing mostly routine chores day-in, day-out for
>>oodles of years, why should you reach mastery levels? If you never
>>step out of your routine, do you learn new stuff?
>
>I'm deeply puzzled by this. Do you really think that cooking, farming,
>shepherding, crafting etc. are the same day-in day-out?

Not necessarily. When i said "routine chores" above, i really meant "activities performed in a routine manner".

My point is that you have mastered (in a non-mechanical sense, that is) an ability if you can routinely perform the extraordinary. If you never attempt the extraordinary you never rise above the ordinary. Extraordinary stuff happens quite a lot in Glorantha, but if you never try to face up those events you stay at sub-mastery levels.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]