Re: Shepherds

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:30:34 +0200

Jeff :

> > Add : Know <Herd Animal> ?
>
> I assumed that tending was subsumed into herding.

Probably other way 'round is more intuitive.

> I'm not willing to propogate the infinite division of skills that
> plagued RuneQuest. I think that its a bad idea. And, if I added in
> all the proposed additions you've made, I'd have more abilities for
> Herder than for Warrior or Hunter.

Sorry : I've proposed some sensible changes, and 2 additions.

Let's not exaggerate !!

> > & to Herd (dependant) ???
>
> No. The herd can't do you favors.

'nuff said (by someone else)

> > also Heler or Nevala IMO
>
> Heler possibly but not Nevala. That's a woman's goddess.

I don't think so. I think that she has both male and female Initiates (ie let's not forget the shepherdesses of bad 17th century poetry).

Uralda does too, but to a far lesser extent ; but there's no cowherd god, so she's important to the cowherds.

> Barntar is probably good too for the more casual herder.

Don't really think so, although Barntar worshippers certainly keep some herd animals ...

There is some unpublished Barntar & Heler mythology BTW.

> > ??!? Probably Uralda, not Urox !!!
>
> No, that's a woman's goddess - check the restrictions in Ernalda.

Uralda isn't Ernalda, but the fact that there is the Urox probably does mean that there are quite specific gender roles.

> > Voriof is the major herder god, & if there was ever an Orlanthi
> > cowherd god he's probably dead (killed by Urox?).
>
> I've been told that Voriof doesn't actually have a large cult since
> once one becomes an adult. Apparently some folks think its strictly
> for boys. I've been using adults for Vorioff the Shepherd but its
> hardly a respectable vocation.

I've heard all this before, and I think that it's a mistaken approach, and a misunderstanding of Voriof.

Voriof has three Aspects probably (compare with the Aspects of Orlanth) : Voriof the Boy ; Voriof the Survivor ; Voriof the Shepherd.

The most interesting Voriof cult is the Survivor one, obviously.

Voriof has a tiny cult from one POV, in that he has few adult devotees ; he has a huge cult from another POV, because all Orlanthi boys belong to the Boy cult.

Wrong list ?

Julian Lord