Re: Re: Lending APs with arrows

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:02:10 +0100

Wulf:
>Actually, I was, but only IF the target's (target of the arrows, that
>is, not the target of the loan) armour edge was taken into account.

Sorry, I must have missed that. It's certainly an interesting, and justifiable, idea. It raises the value of boosting edges with magic, which in most cases just increases the chance of an already likely victory and does little to swing the balance.

Another thing to note is that firing arrows at the enemy does give them a -3 on defending against your friend, if you get the timing right. We used this in the tournament game at Convulsion, with the best fighter waiting until all the others had had a go before attacking.

On the subject of boosting missiles, most game systems seem to give cheaper or better bonuses to magics that boost arrows, such as speedart (+15% +3dmg for 1 MP) than to "persistent" weapon magic such as bladesharp (+5% +1dmg for 1 MP). Personally I'd be inclined to ignore this issue entirely, or jusify it by saying that any missile enhancing magic either enhances the bow, the user, or an entire quiver of arrows. I can certainly foresee a tendency for characters to have magic bows, rather than magic arrows, though (or slings, rather than stones).

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.