Loaning AP with Arrows and Switching Abilities

From: Gilbert Pili <gpili_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:53:52 -0000

Thanks for all the great responses -- wow, I didn't realize what a discussion I'd set off. In general, I think the idea of loaning AP's with arrows sounds right -- it makes sense and works well within the rules.

The part about re-setting APs sounds wrong however. Take a look at page 137 of the main rulebook, and see what it says about Switching Abilities. "Your AP total does not change when you change your ability; this means that it usually makes sense to start with your best ability."

My take on this is that the character starts out with in an Extended Contest is total amount the player can expect to use throughout the entire contest. The player can elect to support his buddies by firing with arrows and loaning APs, but if he ever expects to enter the fray, he should be careful to keep some AP in reserve. If he stayed with the arrows throughout the entire contest and went to 0 AP, he is out of the contest until helped back. He sprained his hand, arm or ankle and is dazed, injured or whatever. You could almost go back to RuneQuest and look at the Missile Weapon fumble table to come up with an explanation, but that person is out of the contest until brought back with other loans.

Does this sound right?

Gil