Re: Re: Heroic Fantasy Gaming

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:06:15 +0100

>>>"I invoke my healing powers by releasing my
>>>anger to recover my strength and heal my wounds".
>>
>>But if a character has "anger" ability, but no listed
>>"healing" ability, you wouldn't allow it?
>
>He'd have to be damned clever describing it (mentioning
>the Gojira connection might entertain me enough...), and
>still get a hefty Improv Mod.

So "Hargart is so angry that his blood boils, and burns his wounds closed" wouldn't cut it? He'd have to say "You know that Godzilla power? I reckon his wounds sealed because his blood boiled. I'm gonna do that!" or something. I know which I prefer.

I agree that a -20 improv mod is probably appropriate, so this kind of gaming is going to be high level only. I can't remember the numbers, but I think a 1w healing ability is good enough to get rid of a single wound, so 1w2 anger would do the same, and 1w3 anger (getting on for heroic) doing the same as 1w2 healing (self only, though) doesn't sound wrong. I'd frown on it being done too often, and probably veto it (or make it -40) if the character doesn't have anything to be angry about!

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.