Re: Javelin throwing

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:41:32 -0000

> Andrew Barton:
> >In the first game I ran, one of my players took a Vingan. She has
a Mile
> >Javelin Throw feat.
> >Seems to me she'd outthrow anyone at the Olympics,and she's not
even a clan
> >champion.

"James Turner"
> Sadly no (see past discussion about Leaping Trees etc).
> Despite its name using this feat will only let you throw a javelin
a few
> extra feet unless you have a really high combat affinity.

As an example of the different levels of interpreting a feat.

Simple answer to Mile Throw Javelin

its affinitiy is combat, and it works on a Javelin (ignore descriptive terms), so it is a magic that augments or adds an edge to a javelin in combat.

HW is an abstraction so the feat is now handled by the rules. We don't need to know any more.

Slightly more complex answer to Mile Throw Javelin

The 'Mile Throw' keyword we ignored above. We want to use the colour. Throwing at range halves the target number and provides an upper distance limit, so the feat should improve the target number not the result. Thus we rule it is an augmentation feat for use with a javelin not an edge.

Probably the best level to view it at.

Additional layers of complexity

Maximum range is now 1 mile. However the target number still halves with each multiple of range (you can throw for distance, but you will either need a few masteries with Ranged Combat(Javelin) or with 'Mile Thriw Javelin' to hit anything.

Boldhome Highland Games

You probably get an increased target number for the large target area (45 degrees either side extending out I think). Vingans probably dominate the annual Boldhome Highland games at this sport :-)