Re: Questions on Affinities / Feats

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:22:37 +1200

Philip Grawe:

>Affinities strike me as logical. Taking Odayla as an example, with the
>Hunt affinity, a player who is chasing after another person could say
>"Chasing prey is part of a hunters job, 'Odayla, aid me in my time of
>need, grant me a burst of speed to catch the bastard'" and use his Hunt
>affinity to augment his Running skill as per the rules. It's not exactly
>hunting, but the situation is related, so his Hunting Affinity can be
>applied (similar to the rock lifting example in the rules book).

Remember using an affinity in this way is improvised magic and so the initiate gets a -5 penalty.

>Are all affinities simply used to augment other abilities ?

No.

>Surely there's more scope than that for affinities. Can the (and I'm
>stretching and guessing because I don't have my rules at work) Mahome
>worshipper say "I'm using my fire affinity to light the camp fire"
><zot> "Campfire's burning, campfire's burning..."

Yup.

>What about feats ? How would you use, say, Humakt's Truesword Feat ? Is
>that just used as an augmentation to your Swordfighting skill ? If so,
>then that's pretty naff.

You could (among other appropriate usages). It would be better than just using the straight combat affinity because it is not improvised and does not get the -5 penalty.

>I mean, Truesword Stoke, to me, sounds like it would grant the devotee a
>single sword stroke that is guaranteed to hit, Humakt guides his sword for
>the one killing blow, or something like that.

You could use interpret it that way.

>Not exactly sure how you'd mirror that in game terms.

Require a suitably high number of APs for the augment and if the PC loses the exchange, interpret the results as meaning something other than a miss ("Your sword's aim is unerring as always, but the outlaw used his shield to take most of the blow...").

--Peter Metcalfe