Re: Javelin throwing; affinities/feats

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:42:30 -0700

David

> So, if Mile Javelin Throw is just a picturesque name that
> doesn't imply an actual mile, how come Sunset Leap isn't just a
> picturesque name for a leap?

It isn't?

Robert

> If it meant just extra range, it should be called Long Range Javelin or
> Increasing Range Javelin Throw!

It probably should have, but I think there's a bias towards picturesque names in later drafts of the game (which is where that one was introduced).

Harry

> I don't quite understand the Affinities / Feats system.
>
> I understand that Initiates get to work with the affinities,
> Devotees have chosen to follow their god more closely and begin to
> be able to perform feats (first one is free, 1 per hero point after
> that, if I recall off-hand).

An initiate knows the affinity. To use they affinity, they must improvise feats, and suffer the -3 (not -5, check the errata) penalty with any of the listed feats. I'd probably give them an additional penalty if they improvise brand new feats. They raise the affinity by spending hero points.

A devotee knows all listed feats in the affinity. They may improvise new feats at -3. They raise the affinity by spending hero points, which raises their ability with all its feats.

> Are all affinities simply used to augment other abilities ? Surely
> there's more scope than that for affinities. Can the (and I'm
> stretching and guessing because I don't have my rules at work)
> Mahome worshipper say "I'm using my fire affinity to light the camp
> fire"

You can't use an affinity directly, you need to use a feat. Of course, you can improvise just about any relevant feat. And yes, most feats can be used to augment, and also to accomplish something. (Even Mile Javelin Throw, though I don't believe its normal use is to throw a javelin that far.)

Lighting a campfire is probably a simple contest against the default resistance of 14.

> Truesword Stoke, to me, sounds like it would grant the devotee a
> single sword stroke that is guaranteed to hit, Humakt guides his
> sword for the one killing blow, or something like that. Not
> exactly sure how you'd mirror that in game terms.

I don't think it does, because you can't. This one is likely just an augmentation (though that means I haven't thought of a good direct use).

> Is it honestly just a case of looking at the feat / affinity,
> thinking of a plausible use for it and going for it ?

Pretty much.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein